Re: Some experiences with 2.2.10/alpha

hi,

On Sun, Apr 02, 2000 at 04:58:10PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > *	If I insert the wrong disk, say empty disk instead of rescue
> > 	disk, then it takes quite long till this is detected and a
> > 	proper error message is printed onto the screen
> At exactly which point in the process?

Installing the kernel and the driver modules when the rescue
floppy is requested to insert.

> > *	while trying getting the base.tgz file I tried the
> > 	network/http method which is a nice thing but it fails for
> > 	me: when i supply a hostname i get the errormessage:
> > 	    nf_http_fetchfile :: www.debian.org:80 couldn't be resolved,
> > 		Host name lookup failure (errno=2)
> > 	but actually, if i supply the ip address it works perfectly
> > 	find AND i  can resolv the address if i ping www.debian.org
> > 	on the shell on f2, so i don't where the bug is but it's not
> > 	an error my the computer i am setting up, ping can resolv the
> > 	hostname (or i oversse here something)
> Which version of boot-floppies are you using?

well, 2.2.10 (see the subject) but actually i reinstalled with th
bf twice and it worked, so maybe i jsut misconfigured something,
so it works.

> > 	while configuring the hardware that there the install routine
> > 	tells me that i did something wrong and i have to redo it?
> Its no longer possible to change this sort of thing for potato.

yep, i can imagine this, maybe a wishlist for woody (didn't
follow the woody thread what is planed for that release)

> > *	btw. what has happend to the overview of options i configured
> > 	for networking? i missed this because it had helped me
> > 	debugging why i couldn't d/l the base files due to a wrong
> > 	bcast address.
> It's still there.

hmm, i am probably blind ....

> I would guess the Alpha documentation is still a bit immature.  Thanks
> for your notes; hopefully these documentation changes will be made.

well the rest is good just the mentioned things are a bit
immature but good work so far (i am sort of an alpha illiterate)

so long
Othmar