Re: Booting the installation over network

Nikita Schmidt <cetus@snowball.ucd.ie> writes:

> I've just added a rule into the boot-floppies' Makefile that generates a
> network-bootable installation system image (tftpboot.img).  I've also

Oooh!  Excellent.

> Technically, this thing needs an unpacked 2.2.x kernel source to build, so
> I've not yet included tftpboot.img as a default target.  Moreover, the
> kernel source must be (at least) partially compiled - bootpheader uses two
> small libraries from there.  I don't know whether it is enough to just say
> we need a compiled kernel source, or is it better to do the whole thing
> automatically (unpack, configure, compile the libraries we need).

We already require people to get MILO and so forth, so I don't see it
as being too much of a problem ... I do think we should either include
the necessary files in the kernel-image packages, or make a package
with them in it.

--
David Huggins-Daines, Senior Linux Consultant, Linuxcare, Inc.
613.562.1239 tel