Installation with off-Board IDE

Hello,

yesterday, I tried to install Debian 2.2 on a system with ASUS A7V board. This board is special in several ways. Apart from a total of seven (!) USB ports, it has an onboard Promise UATA/100 chip, in addition to the UATA/66 controller built into the VIA chipset.

The system shipped with the CD-ROM as primary master on the UATA/66-Bus and the HD as primary master on the Promise Bus. The Debian installation did not find this drive nor the IDE controller. I don't know if Linux-2.2.17 supports this chip at all, because I tried compiling a custom kernel after a succesful installation with the drive on the UATA/66 bus, but even with "other IDE chipset" support Linux wouldn't detect the controller.

Asus boards and especially this one are quite common, at least here in Germany, so i think I might not be the only one with this problem. Just thought I'd let you know...

Bye,
A. Heinlein
--
---