Re: Blends and (astronomy) meta-packages

Le 13/05/2015 13:55, Andreas Tille a écrit :
> Hi Ole,
>
> On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 11:24:09AM +0200, Ole Streicher wrote:
>> Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> writes:
>>> I could imagine that
>>> there might be users who are interested in an astronomy-dev package
>>> which installs development tools for astronomy applications
>>> independently whether they might be Python or not.  To get this
>>> I'd recommend the blends-dev framework.
>>
>> I must say that I didn't understand your proposal.
>>
>> The nice thing about python libs is that they usually serve as end-user
>> applications (though ipython), and also as development packages. The
>> ease of conversion between an interactive analysis to a programs is IMO
>> what makes Python so successfull (and therefore maybe an
>> python-astronomy package would be useful).
>
> There exist packages that contain applications written in Python where
> the user does not really need to know in what language it is written in
> (as for any user application).  As far as I understand packages
> featuring such applications should not feature the 'python-' prefix in
> front of the package name.  Python *modules* are useful to develop
> Python applications and usually these come in a python-* and a
> python3-package.  May be there is something in between but that split
> can be drawn through close to all Python packages I know.

Hi,

I guess that the confusion comes from the fact that in our field of
endeavour, people spend their time writing scripts in python or other
languages or writing python code interactively and consider themselves
as mere users instead of developers.

Kind regards, Thibaut.