Re: Blends and (astronomy) meta-packages

On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 07:06:57PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Hi Ole,
>
> Quoting Ole Streicher (2015-05-10 13:03:44)
> > In the astropy development, there recently came up the idea of a
> > metapackage "astropy-all" which should install all affiliated packages
> > [1]. There it is centered on python package managers (pypi, conda);
> > however it may be worth to duplicate such a package for Debian.
> >
> > My question is now what would be the best effort here?
> >
> > 1. Create a meta-package within python-astropy: This would concentrate
> > the management in this package which is maybe not the best idea
> > (development of affiliated packages is independent of the astropy
> > package itself).
> >
> > 2. Create an independent meta-package. This would be probably the
> > easiest way.
> >
> > 3. Create it as a task of a (not yet existing) "debian-astro" tasks
> > package.
>
> All three approaches seem sensible to me - it really depends on how you
> intend to maintain it, i.e. what you feel most comfortable with.

I also do not feel educated enough to decide between these three
options.  On the contrary I have a foruth one:  I could imagine that
there might be users who are interested in an astronomy-dev package
which installs development tools for astronomy applications
independently whether they might be Python or not.  To get this
I'd recommend the blends-dev framework.