Re: some suggestions towards a Debian .desktop policy [Was: Warm up discussion about desktop files]

Le vendredi 22 avril 2011 à 13:48 +0200, Bernhard R. Link a écrit :
> * Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> [110420 17:44]:
> > Le mercredi 20 avril 2011 à 17:30 +0200, Bernhard R. Link a écrit :
> > > But for me having everything in the menu is its most important feature.
> >
> > It’s not a feature. It is a design mistake.
>
> Speaking about design mistakes: You suggest to use the same field for
> "This cannot be called directly" and "This should only be visible
> after action of the user". And the same field for "This can only be
> called in environment XYZ" and "This should by default only be shown
> in environment XYZ".

Where’s the difference? In both cases you want the user to be able to
override that setting if he feels like it.

> A proper design would be to make this different fields, perhaps add
> something a "DefaultVisibility" multi-values field (like Categories)
> with all the values valid for OnlyShownIn plus perhaps something like
> "Common" plus some other values plus a way similar to gnome's
> menus.blacklist but being a white+blacklist to introduce new global
> categories (like one for each debian-blends) with an user[1] being
> able to configure somewhere which of those categories to show.

That could do the trick too, but having already tried to get
improvements to XDG specifications accepted, I’m not going to try for
something like that.

--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :