Re: CDDs creators working with Debian

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004, Andre Luis Lopes wrote:

> I also don't know if cdd-doc is in a releasable state yet. Sorry fo being
> lax on this,
s/lax/realistic/

> Sure, if it has now content about localisation it's worth making it know
> to the people which we are trying to bring to work with us.
Well it's not really "content" - just mentioning it.  I see cdd-doc as a
collection of ideas which were just worth expressed in sentences and
paragraphs but it is not a really well written paper ready for
publication.  Moreover it is "self-centric" in this sense that I was
not able to say more about other things.

> Yes, we need more translations. But I think we should have a first
> version which wouldn't be changing too much so translators could work on
> this without too much trouble.
This is exactly what I wanted to say.  On the other hand when I wrote
my Debian-Med paper I started in English and then translated back into
my mother language German.  In this process of translation I found many
things to fix and to explain better.  So just "looking at it from a
translators point of view" might enhance the text at a whole.

> Maybe we could freeze it when we agree it's ready, put it in a branch in
> whatever version control system we are using and keep working on
> new content in "trunk" (or "HEAD" for CVS people) ?
Keeping in mind what I wrote above I would freeze a 0.9 version and
change it if needed when something shows up in the translation process.

> I know a guy who said me he was working on translating it to Brazilian
> Portuguese. Don't know how's the status of his work, but I'll try to get
> in contact with him and ask him.
So, make sure that he will not be to shy to change the English version
and does not hide new ideas.

> That's my opinion also, but I really don't want to step ahead and do
> anything without prior agreement from everyone involved. Also, I want to
> make sure that the people to which I could give a copy of the letter are
> going to make it clear to the governement guy that it's a community
> project thing and not something they created, invented or whatever.
Hmmm, do you see chances that they do so?  And even if, I would not
mind if the Brasilian government would pay some Debian developers to
work on CDD and claim it a Brasilian government effort in your region.
The international community will understand the issue outside of
Brasil.