Re: MPICH2 for Debian?

"Muammar El Khatib" <muammarelkhatib@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Mario,
>
> On Jan 14, 2008 4:29 PM, Mario Lang <mlang@debian.org> wrote:
>>
>> Is anyone a little more actively working on this?
>> I'd like to avoid duplication of effort here.
>> I've tried to upgrade the 1.0.3 packaging to 1.0.6p1 but
>> there are so many things broken that I'd probably rather
>> do it again from scratch.
>
> Well, I am the owner of MPICH2's  ITP [0]. I was working on version
> 1.0.5 and I was able to build the debian packages. I could try to make
> them work for 1.0.6p this week.

Upgrading to 1.0.6p1 seems like a good idea.

> The problem was that I was getting lots of lintian warnings and
> errors.

Well, lintian is actually useful as a tool to find things
we are still missing.  Some warnings can actually be ignored
at times, but lintian errors really should get fixed before
we upload to the archive.

>> I am asking because we are configuring a new HPC system based
>> on Debian here, and I am trying to decide if I just compile mpich2
>> From source (probably necessary due to people needing a commercial
>> fortran compiler anyway), or if I invest a little
>> more time and get this actually right.  Obviously, I can't
>> spent too much of time during installation on this, and
>> when the system goes live, I can't do much testing anymore.
>> So if anyone has something, I'd like to join forces and try to get mpich2
>> into Debian.
>
> So, in this case, would you help me to check them, test them (I am not
> able to do it in those moments) and upload them to Debian?

Yes, if you give me what you have, I can help testing,
help fixing some issues, and if we manage to reach
a certain quality level, I will sponsor you and upload the package.

--
CYa,
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang@db.debian.org