Re: [Jeff Squyres <jsquyres@lam-mpi.org>] Re: LAM: LAM/MPI v7.1 released

Greetings!

Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> writes:

> Le mercredi 22 septembre 2004 à 13:53 -0400, Camm Maguire a écrit :
> > Greetings!
> >
> > What say ye all to the below -- should I try to push 7.1 out with the
> > same soname into Sarge ASAP?
>
> I'd say it's a bad idea. The release team strongly advised the
> developers against ABI changes - even .shlibs version bumps.

Point taken, but I just wanted to emphasize that from my experience it
is very highly likely that the abi has in fact not changed -- its just
that upstream hasn't explicity tested to confirm.  I will try to look
at the header interface files they refer to in upstream cvs to see
when the last change was.

> When there are such binary incompatibilities between every single
> version of a library, the best solution is probably to change the SONAME
> and package name between each versions, just like for libhdf5 of
> libdirectfb. It's a hassle to rebuild all depending packages, but this
> way you're sure there's no problem.

This is definitely a possible policy.  What do you think of a slightly
looser policy -- to bubmp the Debian-specific soname when any of the
headers or related files have changed between releases?  Upstream
mentioned three specific files in the original note.

Take care,