Re: Altivec and G4

Greetings!

Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org> writes:

> On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 12:04:16PM -0400, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> > Camm Maguire wrote:
> >
> > >Greetings!  Anyone using Debian on this platform?  Anyone in the
> > >process of packaging the altivec capable binutils and/or gcc?  Anyone
> > >interested?
> > >
> > Tons of people are using this platform.  I don't know of anyone using it
> > for a Beowulf though.  But I'm sure there are users of atlas-using
> > packages...
> >
> > The relevant list is debian-powerpc.
>
> I doubt it, as atlas hasn't built for a bit:
>
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=blas-1.0:lapack-3.0:lib/Linux_fpu_shared bin/Linux_fpu_shared/xsl3blastst -R all -N 10 1
> 00 10 -M 10 100 10  >>debian/test/xsl3blastst
> bin/Linux_fpu_shared/xsl3blastst: error while loading shared libraries: blas-1.0/libblas.so.2: R_PPC_REL24 relocation at 0x6ffd3e10 for symbol `scal_' out of range

Yep, I've filed a bug against this.  g77 cannot link a shared lib on
ppc, and f2c isn't available.  The reference blas library is needed
for the atlas lib checks.  Probably the easiest is to port f2c to
powerpc, if you'd like to help.  Then I can NMU a blas, with
maintainers permission, to use it instead of g77 on the powerpc
platform, as with m68k.

> All recent binutils are altivec capable.  I expect that no one will
> ever package the AltiVec-capable GCC, as it is exceedingly unreliable.

Thanks for the tip.  The binutils are all that is needed.  However, I
checked on voltaire, and the standard assembler there didn't seem to
understand the altivec assembly code put out by the altivec gcc,
whereas the altivec assembler did.  Am I doing something wrong?

Take care,