Re: Backport request for Lghttpd 1.69 for Bullseye

Hi,

在 2023-09-22星期五的 14:39 -0400,Glenn Strauss写道:
> On Fri, Sep 22, 2023 at 08:25:26AM -0400, Boyuan Yang wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > 在 2023-09-21星期四的 21:00 +0300,Petri Riihikallio写道:
> > > Hello, I’ll go for this again.
> > >
> > > I have a project with several thousand users upgrading to Bullseye (because of Java 11). They would benefit greatly from Lighttpd 1.64 or later because that is the first
> > > version to log remote IP addresses to its error log for Fail2Ban. Version 1.69 is already available for Bookworm and testing. I don’t need any Lighttpd add-on packages.
> > >
> > > Any help is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Forwarding your request to the current Debian lighttpd maintainers to see
> > whether they are interested in such task. If anyone prepares a backported
> > version for bullseye-backports (or bullseye-backports-sloppy), I will be
> > happy to review and sponsor the upload.
>
> I'll be happy to put together a backport in a week or so (the first week
> of October) as I am currently in the midst of preparing to release
> lighttpd 1.4.72.
>
> Boyuan: thank you for the offer to sponsor.  I'll take you up on it in
> early Oct.  If you're willing to sponsor bullseye-backports-sloppy, then
> I'll backport 1.4.72 about a month after the 1.4.72 release, and may do
> the same for buster-backports-sloppy.

Thanks. You can choose between bullseye-backports and bullseye-backports-sloppy
as you wish. Unfortunately buster-backports-sloppy is already closed because
Debian Buster has reached End-Of-Life (EOL), and Buster LTS is not supported
by the backports infrastructure.

> Petri: the lighttpd codebase is very, very portable and if you want to
> test in the meantime, you should just be able to take the source from
> https://salsa.debian.org/debian/lighttpd/ and dpkg-buildpackage on
> Bullseye.  While some older, lesser used modules have been deprecated
> and removed, I doubt too many people are affected, so the lighttpd
> package should "just work" for most people on older Debian releases.
>
> I recommend reviewing the upstream release notes for each lighttpd
> version back to the ancient one you are running, and paying attention to
> the Behavior Changes section (if present) in each of the release notes:
>   https://redmine.lighttpd.net/projects/lighttpd/news
> (See "Previous version:" link near top of each release notes to get
>  to older release notes.)
>
> Behavior Changes are very often low impact, such as increasing the
> security of the default cipher list used by the lighttpd TLS modules.

Best,
Boyuan Yang