Re: Emacs 1:27.1+1-3~bpo10+1 - Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Thanks!
After purging elpa-org, all went fine.

This is the output of your commands:

$ dpkg -S ox.el
emacs-common: /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/org/ox.elc
elpa-org: /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/org-9.1.14/ox.el
emacs-el: /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnmbox.el.gz
emacs-el: /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/org/ox.el.gz
emacs-common: /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnmbox.elc
emacs-el: /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/play/blackbox.el.gz
emacs-common: /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/play/blackbox.elc
auctex: /usr/share/auctex/style/tcolorbox.el

$ dpkg -l elpa-org
||/ Name           Version       Architecture Description
+++-==============-=============-============-=================================>
ii  elpa-org       9.1.14+dfsg-3 all          Keep notes, maintain ToDo lists, >

find ~/.emacs.d -name 'ox.el*' is void.

Thank you very much again!
Domenico

Il giorno gio 11 feb 2021 alle ore 16:35 John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> ha scritto:
On Thu, Feb 11 2021, Domenico Cufalo wrote:

> Dear devs,
> after installing latest version of Emacs from Buster Backports,
> I received
> the error message in subject.
>
> These are the latest line of apt:
>
> In org-export-file-uri:
> ox.el:4409:11:Warning: `org-file-remote-p' is an obsolete
> function (as of
> Org
>     9.2); use `file-remote-p' instead.

Hi Domenico,

I suspect that you may have an old standalone org-mode installed.
Can you please send me the output of these commands:

dpkg -S ox.el
dpkg -l elpa-org

Also if you have installed org-mode via elpa/melpa that may also
be relevant.

find ~/.emacs.d -name 'ox.el*'

might be a clue if you have that.

It is possible that I would need to add a versioned conflicts to
the control file for the backport, so that it conflicts with an
old version of org-mode, if indeed that's what's going on.  I
wouldn't be surprised to find other Emacs things packaged for
buster that are incompatible with Emacs 27.1, and probably much
older than the versions included with Emacs 27.  I don't intend to
backport all of those things, especially since it is easy enough
to install newer versions from within Emacs, but I could add
Conflicts as appropriate.

I guess I would say my general advice, if you're going to use the
Emacs backport, is to purge *all* the emacs addons from buster
before you do.

Emacs does come with org-mode itself, and the org-mode contained
within Emacs 27 is several versions newer than the one in buster's
elpa-org package.

I didn't have a problem installing it on my systems, but then I
didn't have elpa-org installed.

For other DDs, a question...

I did find that the Emacs daemon mode (not the most commonly used
but it is used by a distinct minority of Emacs people) is broken
by a .el file contained in buster's dictionaries-common.  I
therefore backported dictionaries-common from testing as well,
since that package gets installed as a dependency of a number of
other packages on the system.  I am unsure if adding a versioned
conflicts to the Emacs 27 backport is the right thing to do here,
or if "apt-get -t buster-backports install emacs" will also
realize that it needs to upgrade to the backported
dictionaries-common in that case (I *hope* so?)

- John