linux-image from backport cause debian hang on boot with gdm3 or takes more than 4 minute with lightdm

Dear backports maintainers,

I have Debian Stretch and linux-image-amd64 installed from backports (4.18+98~bpo9+1), kernel 4.14+ is required by my wifi card Intel 9260. After updating linux-image to backports versions (every versions is the same) I have boot issues with:

GDM3 - graphical login do not appears, after entering a console (ALT+F2) the system could reacts after a while and the graphical interface starts or, if not, I can start in manually (sudo service gdm3 restart)

LIGHTDM - graphical interface always starts but it takes 5 minutes to load the main Gnome interface

Booting with linux-image-amd64 from stable (4.9+80+deb9u6) is fine and the system starts up in less than 1 minute, but of course the wifi card Intel 9260 is not supported (removing this card do not helps with booting issues on backports kernels).

For reasons I do not know installing the packaged haveged solve my issue with GDM3 and Lightdm and the PC starts as usual. Hope this helps others as it took me lot of time to find this solution and if anyone are more informed about it please let me know

cheers

Luca Mina