Re: Frustration over Debian naming (was: Re: Meltdown fix for wheezy-backports)

On Fri, 2018-01-12 at 13:54 +0000, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 08:49:05AM -0500, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> > But the various names and use of those names gets very frustrating
> > for me, and
> > I suspect I am not the only one.  The numbered versions, the Toy
> > Story names,
> > and then the testing, stable, old stable, old old stable is just
> > frustrating.
>

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian_version_history explains this
> nicely and is linked from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian

I took their point to be that if one needs a wiki page to follow the
versioning scheme then perhaps the versioning scheme has an issue.

IIRC teams like the Press Team have a policy of always leading with the
numerical version rather than the code names, presumably for this very
reason, but that doesn't carry over into "casual" conversation like the
parent thread or the repo urls etc.

Ian.