Re: Backporting sagemath

Hi Ximin,

On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 08:50:00PM +0000, Ximin Luo wrote:

> Hey, thank you for taking the initiative on this.

You are welcome.

> However I would suggest that it is probably not worth the effort to do this, especially for the *current* version. Debian stretch would probably be released as stable in about 3 months, and it may take you about that long to port all the current dependencies to jessie.

Well, I confirm that I know the release plan.  However, as you know in
practice the migration from one stable release to the next on production
machines is not done immediately after the release.  We intend to use
sagemath on Jessie in about two weeks and this usage (on Jessie) will
probably last at least 6 monthes.

> I'd suggest it may be more beneficial overall, to spend your free time helping with the current effort to update the stretch version to 7.5.1.
>
> As for porting 7.5/7.6 etc to Debian stretch=stable in the future, this may be worth the effort but we should re-evaluate after stretch is released as stable and we have a clearer idea of what's needed.

I think my contribution now is that most packages that might need
backporting in future are not new to backports any more and thus might
pass immediately.

Kind regards and thanks a lot for your initial sagemath packaging

     Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de