Re: X doesn't start with new xserver-xorg-video-intel

Hello Micha,

On Mon, Dec 05, 2016 at 11:25:25AM +0100, Micha vor dem Berge wrote:
> I recently upgraded my xserver-xorg-video-intel package to the newest
> jessie-backports (version 2:2.99.917+git20161105-1~bpo8+1). After a reboot,
> X doesn't start anymore. I used this package from backports for several
> months, so the newest update must have caused the trouble, I think.
are you sure you need this package? The description says:

 The use of this driver is discouraged if your hw is new enough (ca.
 2007 and newer). You can try uninstalling this driver and let the
 server use it's builtin modesetting driver instead.

Is your graphics hardware really that old?

Kind regards,
Benedikt Wildenhain

P.S.: Please be aware that using "FrankenDebian" is not recommended, see
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian#Don.27t_make_a_FrankenDebian

--
Benedikt Wildenhain, M.Sc., Wiss. Mitarbeiter - Hardwarenahe IT-Systeme
Hochschule Bochum - Bochum University of Applied Sciences