Source-only uploads for jessie backports

Greetings.

I have been asked to backport gettext for jessie.
The backport is almost ready:

I would like to upload it in source-only form.
Will that work?

I tried to answer this myself but the wiki page does
not explicitly say anything about backports:

https://wiki.debian.org/SourceOnlyUpload

It says:

"NEW uploads and uploads with NEW binaries currently cannot be source-only."

How is such rule exactly applied for backports? The first time a
backport is uploaded for jessie-backports is considered a NEW upload?

Or maybe the override file is shared between jessie and jessie-backports?

Thanks.