Re: Please backport Python scikit learn, pandas and seaborn

Hi,

>These popular data analysis python modules are quite old now in

>jessie. There are many new features in the newer packages. Would it
>possible to prepare official backports for them?
>Hope this is not too much to ask. I will see if I find sometime to try
>building these these from the testing source and report back on
>failure or success.

With the Stretch freeze and release approaching, I don't see why
we should spend effort based on a request for a package with
a popcon of ~350 installations.

you might want start by making sure the packages will be part of Stretch, trying
to do the no-change backports required, and testing them.

E.g. right now seaborn, pandas will be kicked out of Stretch in 18 days, because of
statsmodels [1]

scikit-learn is FTBFS on ppc64el, so a backport is impossible

[1] https://packages.qa.debian.org/s/seaborn.html

So, TLTR; if somebody can't fix bugs for Stretch, they might not even be part of next stable
release.

Gianfranco