Re: Problem with btrfs-progs package

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 11:32:32AM +0100, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
> Thank you for getting in touch with me. Based on the version number
> you appear to be running a backport package, which is not prepared /
> uploaded / supported by me at all.
>
> Packages should not be renamed in stable series, and when backporting,
> package rename should not be included and/or backported correctly such
> that one should still be able to install btrfs-tools & btrffs-progs
> packages, together, from backports.

It probably just needs proper metadata.

> @ Debain Backports team
> Could you please remove btrfs-progs / btrfs-tools backports until
> instability issues are resolved, if the below bug report is valid?

Instead of that can you pretty please get in touch with Nicholas and
sort out this maintenance problem?
He did a bunch of work, but to the best of my knowledge you never got
back to him nor replied to his emails.

> FYI - I strongly do not recommend to run backports. Are there
> particular reasons and/or bugs that you do that on production systems?
> Cause it's best to cherrypick fixes for bugs and ship a proper update
> into debian updates stream without any incompatible packaging changes.
> Regards,

Yes, running linux from backport and while using btrfs is afaik required
(or very recommended anyway) to run a matching btrfs-progs version.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

more about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :