Clarification about the "Uploaders" field

There's something on the backporting guidelines that is not very clear
and makes anyone ask me why I'm doing this whenever I ask for a
sponsorship of a backport. The "Basic Rules"[1] section states the
following:

"Do not do any changes to the package beside of backporting stuff."

But the "Uploaders" subsection of "Best Practice" suggests[2] that if
add yourself to the "Uploaders" field, it becomes easier to follow the
packages though DDPO.

To me, this changes looks completely related to the backport itself,
but for some people this may look like a package hijack.

Can we update the guidelines to make this a little bit more clear?
Stating if one is supposed to do this or not?

Regards,
Tiago.

[1]: http://backports.debian.org/Contribute/#index7h3
[2]: http://backports.debian.org/Contribute/#index13h3