Re: Best Practices: Uploaders field

* Vincent Cheng <vcheng@debian.org> [2015-06-08 07:53:20 CEST]:
> On Sun, Jun 7, 2015 at 9:29 AM, Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> wrote:
> > On 2015-06-07, Paul Gevers wrote:
> >> Please explain next time that you ALSO added yourself to the Uploaders
> >> in d/control. Only after reading the contributers page of bpo did I
> >> realize why you probably did it (I assume you keep an eye on [1]). If
> >> not for that reason, I would rather not have that change.
> >
> > I've seen it mentioned a few times where people add themselves to
> > backports and then get critiqued for it, which seems a little
> > inconsistant with the section defining "Best Practices" on the
> > "Contribute" page.
> >
> >   http://backports.debian.org/Contribute/#index12h3
> >
> > Seems like to me either the Contribute page should either remove this
> > suggestion, or people should stop asking for this to be removed from
> > packaging in sponsorship requests.
> >
> > I don't have strong opinions either way, but there are enough challenges
> > for peole to package a backport correctly... sponsors should at least
> > respond consistantly with the "Best Practices" listed on the
> > "Contribute" page.
>
> The page in question tells backporters to either add themselves to the
> Uploaders field in d/control, or subscribe to the package. I suppose
> some folks have a stronger preference for the latter instead of the
> former.

 That shouldn't be the preference of the sponsor though, it's something
the backporter should decide - especially since it guides their
workflow, and they do the backport.

 I am a fair bit disturbed by the strong objection to it by Paul,
frankly spoken, and would like to suggest them to tone down their
getting involved aren't as freely available as to stomp over them that
way.

 Enjoy!
Rhonda