Re: Backport of mesa to Jessie?

Hi Roberth,

On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 12:44 AM, Roberth Sjonøy
<roberth.sjonoy@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> Is there a possibility to backport Mesa 10.5.5 to Jessie?
>
> With the current Mesa version in Jessie, I am unable to use MPV with
> opengl-hq and scalers which offers big improvement to the image quality over
> the default and similar ones without getting choppy video playback with my
> Haswell based Intel GPU. While users of other distro's which has mesa 10.5.5
> reports that the same configuration of MPV works fine on even slower CPU and
> GPU from intel.
> A lot has happened since 10.3 regarding opengl performance in general which
> will benefit when playing games and other opengl applications.
> I have seen a few users on debians irc support channels wanting/needing a
> newer mesa for playing games.

In general, please either contact the maintainer of the package in
question (debian-x@l.d.o) to see if they would be willing to provide a
backport, or prepare your own backported package and ask for
sponsorship here on the list if you're willing to maintain the
backported package yourself (see instructions at [1]) for the lifetime
of jessie. If neither of these options are possible, be prepared to
wait indefinitely; it's fairly uncommon for folks here on
debian-backports to prepare backports on request from others.

(I can't speak on behalf of the mesa maintainers, but I'll point out
that the Debian X team is quite small and is unlikely to be willing to
backport mesa and maintain/support the backported package themselves.)

Regards,
Vincent

[1] http://backports.debian.org/Contribute/