Re: lxc/wheezy-backports: FTBFS on ia64

Hi Christian,

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 2:20 PM, Christian Seiler <christian@iwakd.de> wrote:
> Hi Vincent,
>
> On 05/18/2015 10:55 PM, Vincent Cheng wrote:
>>> Note that the older LXC version that comes with Wheezy already FTBFS on
>>> ia64, so no package was ever uploaded to the archive for that
>>> architecture (even though the package is Architecture: linux-any).
>>
>> The buildd logs for lxc on wheezy [1] suggests the very opposite,
>> actually. We are looking at the same page, right? :)
>
> As I said, it's a bit misleading: the page you're linking says it's
> 'Installed' on every arch of Wheezy, even kfreebsd ones. But LXC
> (_Linux_ containers) definitely don't work on kfreebsd, so this can't be
> right. If you then actually click on the link "all (1)" (under "Logs")
> for different architectures, you will see the following:
>
>  - amd64: "no log", because it was a binary upload with amd64
>  - kfreebsd: "no log" because it was never actually built
>  - armel, armhf, i386, mips, mipsel, powerpc, s390, s390x, sparc:
>    Result: "Maybe-Successful" e.g. [2]
>  - ia64: Result: "Maybe-Failed" [3]
>
> [2]
> https://buildd.debian.org/status/logs.php?pkg=lxc&ver=0.8.0~rc1-8%2Bdeb7u2&arch=armel
> [3]
> https://buildd.debian.org/status/logs.php?pkg=lxc&ver=0.8.0~rc1-8%2Bdeb7u2&arch=ia64
>
> Also:
> https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/lxc
>  -> no ia64 there
>
> http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/main/l/lxc/
>  -> for version 0.8.0~rc1-8+deb7u2 (current Wheezy) no ia64 deb there
>
> => lxc on ia64 not part of Jessie (0.7.2-1, i.e. the Squeeze version,
> has a deb for that arch, however)

Hmm, ok, I wasn't expecting buildd.d.o to behave like that...but
whenever in doubt, dak is the authoritative source, so:

$ rmadison lxc | grep ia64
lxc        | 0.7.2-1             | oldoldstable            | source,
amd64, armel, i386, ia64, mips, mipsel, powerpc, s390

Looks like you're right. :)

> But regardless of all this:
>
>>>  - somehow get access to a ia64 box to test that first (is that
>>>    possible? I'm not a DD nor a DM)
>>>         - Is there an emulator for ia64 that can run a full Wheezy?
>>
>> You can request access to Debian ia64 porterboxes [2]. I can sponsor
>> your request if you're looking for a sponsor.
>
> Ah, I didn't know that was possible. I'd like to take you up on your
> offer then, since I believe the fix is going to be relatively simple (I
> just need to test it, in fact). I'm going to send you a separate,
> private email regarding this, thanks!

Ok.

>> It's worth pointing out that since lxc is indeed available in wheezy,
>> the fact that it FTBFS in wheezy-backports could be considered a
>> regression, so I would suggest fixing this if at all possible.
>
> I do agree in general, it's just that Wheezy on ia64 never had a working
> LXC as far as I can tell (see beginning of the email). That said, I'm
> willing to fix it regardless (just wanted to hear your opinion first).

TBH I think asking for the lxc maintainer's opinion would be more
valuable than asking for mine, but it's fine regardless.

Regards,
Vincent