Re: Request for review and upload - libevdev and xserver-xorg-input-synaptics

On Sat, 6 Sep 2014 00:59:52 -0700, Vincent Cheng <vcheng@debian.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 7:09 PM, Raphaël HALIMI <raphael.halimi@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Le 05/09/2014 23:31, Stephen Kitt a écrit :
> >> Thanks for taking the time to do this.
> >
> > Thanks for taking the time to review my upload :)
> >
> >> I checked the diff between your backport and libevdev in testing, and
> >> everything seems fine. The best practices at the bottom of
> >> http://backports.debian.org/Contribute/ mention adding yourself to
> >> Uploaders; could you do that? In the meantime I'll file a request to get
> >> myself added to backporters.
> >
> > Thanks for clarifying that. I read about it but I wasn't sure if I
> > should do it before the upload, I thought I needed the maintainers'
> > permission. I did it for the four packages I backported and re-uploaded
> > them to mentors.debian.org.
>
> I don't think there's a clear consensus on that. I generally ask my
> sponsorees to avoid any unnecessary changes when preparing backports
> and ensure that the debdiff is as minimal as possible (and I think
> that this policy overrides the "best practices" mentioned on the
> backports contributor page), and that applies to the Uploaders field
> in debian/control as well, so I strongly discourage my sponsorees from
> adding themselves as an uploader. Also, if you want to keep track of
> the status of the package, including bug reports and such, you should
> subscribe yourself to the package via the PTS; that doesn't require
> adding yourself to debian/control as an uploader.

That does seem sensible, especially given that in most cases backports should
change nothing at all in debian/control so having it appear in the debdiff
just for the Uploaders field adds a fair bit of noise...

> tl;dr just do what your sponsor prefers, I guess.

I don't mind having Raphaël identified as the uploader for backports, so I'll
upload it as is whenever I get added to backporters.

Regards,

Stephen