Re: Request for review and upload - libevdev and xserver-xorg-input-synaptics

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 7:09 PM, Raphaël HALIMI <raphael.halimi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Le 05/09/2014 23:31, Stephen Kitt a écrit :
>> Thanks for taking the time to do this.
>
> Thanks for taking the time to review my upload :)
>
>> I checked the diff between your backport and libevdev in testing, and
>> everything seems fine. The best practices at the bottom of
>> http://backports.debian.org/Contribute/ mention adding yourself to Uploaders;
>> could you do that? In the meantime I'll file a request to get myself added to
>> backporters.
>
> Thanks for clarifying that. I read about it but I wasn't sure if I
> should do it before the upload, I thought I needed the maintainers'
> permission. I did it for the four packages I backported and re-uploaded
> them to mentors.debian.org.

I don't think there's a clear consensus on that. I generally ask my
sponsorees to avoid any unnecessary changes when preparing backports
and ensure that the debdiff is as minimal as possible (and I think
that this policy overrides the "best practices" mentioned on the
backports contributor page), and that applies to the Uploaders field
in debian/control as well, so I strongly discourage my sponsorees from
adding themselves as an uploader. Also, if you want to keep track of
the status of the package, including bug reports and such, you should
subscribe yourself to the package via the PTS; that doesn't require
adding yourself to debian/control as an uploader.

tl;dr just do what your sponsor prefers, I guess.

Regards,
Vincent