Contributing emacs24

Hello,

I would like to contribute a wheezy backport for emacs24 and
emacs24-non-dfsg (the binary packages built by these source packages,
that is).  I can build them on my amd64 wheezy system with no
modifications, although they generate some dpkg-* warnings.  The steps I
follow to build them on my system are as follows.

$ dpkg-source --require-valid-signature -x PKG.dsc
$ cd PKG_DIR
$ debuild -us -uc -b

The warnings from emacs24_24.3+1-3:
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if debian/emacs24-lucid/usr/bin/emacs24-lucid was not linked against libz.so.1 (it uses none of the library's symbols)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if debian/emacs24-lucid/usr/bin/emacs24-lucid was not linked against libgomp.so.1 (it uses none of the library's symbols)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if debian/emacs24-lucid/usr/bin/emacs24-lucid was not linked against libXext.so.6 (it uses none of the library's symbols)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if debian/emacs24-lucid/usr/bin/emacs24-lucid was not linked against libgio-2.0.so.0 (it uses none of the library's symbols)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if debian/emacs24-lucid/usr/bin/emacs24-lucid was not linked against libcairo.so.2 (it uses none of the library's symbols)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if debian/emacs24/usr/bin/emacs24-x was not linked against libz.so.1 (it uses none of the library's symbols)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if debian/emacs24/usr/bin/emacs24-x was not linked against libatk-1.0.so.0 (it uses none of the library's symbols)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if debian/emacs24/usr/bin/emacs24-x was not linked against libgomp.so.1 (it uses none of the library's symbols)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if debian/emacs24/usr/bin/emacs24-x was not linked against libpangocairo-1.0.so.0 (it uses none of the library's symbols)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if debian/emacs24/usr/bin/emacs24-x was not linked against libcairo-gobject.so.2 (it uses none of the library's symbols)
dpkg-gencontrol: warning: package emacs24-bin-common: unused substitution variable ${perl:Depends}
dpkg-gencontrol: warning: Depends field of package emacs24-common: unknown substitution variable ${shlibs:Depends}

The only warning from emacs24-non-dfsg_24.3+1-1:
dpkg-gencontrol: warning: Depends field of package emacs24-common-non-dfsg: unknown substitution variable ${shlibs:Depends}

I noticed there was a discussion about providing a backport back in
March <https://lists.debian.org/debian-backports/2014/03/msg00147.html>;
have there been any developments on that since?

Regards,
Aidan Gauland