Options for backporting s3ql package?

Hello,

The wheezy s3ql package is currently at version 1.11. The version in
testing and unstable is 2.8. Upstream (that's me) develops s3ql in two
branches, a 1.x branch that's (by now) in maintenance mode, supports
Python 2.7, and and receives only critical bugfixes, and 2.x branch that
requires Python 3.3 and receives new features.

Since the release of 1.11, several bugs have been found (see
https://bitbucket.org/nikratio/s3ql/src/26a9028d3775bb0fa765a29c28fe364c193cfa44/Changes.txt?at=maint-1.x
for a full list), and the current version of the 1.x branch is 1.18.

I was wondering if it would be possible to provide a backport of 1.18
for wheezy. I am willing to do the work, and there seems to me some user
interest as well
(https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=707184). However, the
backported package version (1.18) will never enter testing or unstable,
and backporting the 2.x branch isn't feasible because of the dependency
on Python 3.3. Would that be a problem?

Thanks,
-Nikolaus