backport of dpkg (>= 1.17.2) and apt (>= 0.9.16.1) for build profiles

Hi backports team and dpkg and apt maintainers,

I'm crossposting to these three lists because all parties have to agree on this
for this to happen.

We would like to add build profile support [1] to packages in the archive and
because build profiles add a new syntax to Build-Depends, tools like dpkg and
apt need to be able to understand it as they would otherwise throw an error.
Support for build profiles was integrated into a number of tools already and
most of them already migrated into testing. You can see [1] for an overview.

Because of this syntax change, packages that use this syntax can only be
uploaded once tools in Debian stable support it because the build
infrastructure runs Debian stable. One option would be to wait until the jessie
release but we fear that if we go that route we might discover too late that we
missed to patch one important tool and in the worst case have to wait for yet
another release until packages with build profiles can be uploaded.

Therefore we would like to test whether the Debian build infrastructure can
handle uploads of source packages using build profiles as early as possible. It
seems that the two options for making this happen is to either backport the
current versions of dpkg, apt and python-apt or to make a stable update:

12:33 < Ganneff> ftpmaster takes what dsa runs. dsa takes backports.
12:35 < adsb> I'd suspect they'd prefer a stable update for that sort of thing. but icb(e)w
12:35 < ansgar> And support in w-b, apt (in stable), ... if there are incompatible changes to Build-Depends.

I'm writing to this list because a backport is probably more easy than plugging
the build-profile commit on top of the current stable versions of dpkg and apt?

What do you think? Would you support releasing a build profile enabled version
of dpkg and apt and python-apt into backports so that dak and wanna-build can
support build profiles before jessie happens?

Thank you for your consideration.

cheers, josch

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/BuildProfileSpec