Re: Request: python-setuptools

Hi Daniele,

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 1:32 AM, Daniele Sluijters
<daniele.sluijters@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Debian Wheezy currently ships with a setuptools version prior to the
> distribute-setuptools merge. Most software on PyPi now
> assumes/requires a newer setuptools version causing trouble for people
> trying to install software from PyPi.
>
> I'm familiar with Debian packaging so I'd like to help out with the
> effort, I'm just not familiar enough with the Debian procedures
> surrounding this.

If you'd like to provide a backport for setuptools, please refer to
these instructions [1], i.e. fetch the version in jessie, make
whatever changes that are strictly needed for the package to work on
wheezy (avoid making unnecessary changes; often this just means a
debian/changelog bump and nothing else), and then upload a .dsc or a
debdiff somewhere (e.g. mentors.debian.net) and ask for a sponsor here
on the list or via debian-mentors@l.d.o.

Please note that by offering to maintain a backport, we expect you to
maintain it over wheezy's entire lifetime, and to deal with any bugs
that are reported against your backported package (which should come
through the list, so that means you should be subscribed to
debian-backports).

Regards,
Vincent

[1] http://backports.debian.org/Contribute/