Re: Request for backport: python-cups

On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 1:20 AM, Alexander Wirt <formorer@formorer.de> wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Apr 2014, Vincent Cheng wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 9:45 AM, Alad Wenter
>> <the.changing.side@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Dear developer,
>> >
>> > Please review the backport of python-cups version 1.9.63-1
>> >
>> > http://mentors.debian.net/package/python-cups
>> >
>> > http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/p/python-cups/python-cups_1.9.63-1~bpo70+1.dsc
>>
>> Built, signed, and uploaded; thanks for your contribution to Debian!
> Before upload various stuff from mentors, did you asked the providers if they
> want to maintain the backport over the whole lifetime of wheezy? And are you
> sure they are able to maintain debian packages?

No and no, but I suppose it's not too late to ask now. Alad, are you
willing and able to maintain both python-cups and
system-config-printer until support for wheezy ends?

For the record, my approach to sponsoring backported packages is
similar to how I deal with regular non-backports packages from
sponsorship-requests. As long as the package is technically suitable
for upload (in the case of backports, as long as the debdiff looks
sane, and there are people who would find the backport useful), I'd be
willing to take a look at that package and sponsor it. If the package
ends up bitrotting, then it can simply be orphaned and removed from
the archive.

Regards,
Vincent