Re: backports dist-upgrade issue (udev breaks consolekit)

On Thu, 2014-03-20 at 23:38 +0100, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Olivier Langella <olivier.langella@moulon.inra.fr> writes:
> > I am using Debian stable with wheezy-backports and I had a
> > dist-upgrade issue today.
> [...]
> >  udev : Breaks: consolekit (< 0.4.6-1) but 0.4.5-3.1 is installed.
> [...]
> > Several people in my lab had also this problem and some were in
> > serious trouble because they've lost their desktop.
> > Does someone has noticed this issue somewhere else ?
> > What can I do to help this to be resolved ?
>
> As you mention dist-upgrade I wonder: did you configure APT to upgrade
> all packages to the version in wheezy-backports? By default you should
> only get packages from there if you explicitly specify that you want to
> use the backports distribution for it.
>
> So udev should not get upgraded to 204-7~bpo70+1 by default.

This does not absolve you of responsibility as backporter.  You should
not upload packages to wheezy-backports with versioned depends/breaks/
conflicts that can't be satisfied by packages in wheezy or
wheezy-backports.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
One of the nice things about standards is that there are so many of them.