Re: virtualbox-dkms fails to build with 3.12-0.bpo.1-amd64 kernel

On 15/03/14 04:13, Nick wrote:
> Quoth Daniel Pocock:
>> On 12/03/14 21:24, Vincent Cheng wrote:
>>> Building virtualbox's BIOS as of >= 4.2 requires the use of a compiler
>>> that's not DFSG-free (and shipping with EFI support only in the vbox
>>> packages was determined to be a bad idea by the maintainer), hence the
>>> move to contrib. See bug #691148 for details.
>
> Aw, that was a really stupid move on the Oracle peoples' part to
> require a nonfree compiler. That company...
>
>> I was able to patch the modules from wheezy/main to work with newer
>> kernels, details in the bug tracker
>
> I can't find where you mean in the bug tracker, can you provide more
> information (or a bug number) please?

Maybe not quite what you want, the patch I was thinking of lets you use
the regular VirtualBox 4.1 packages (from wheezy, not wheezy-backports)
with the kernels from wheezy-backports

Not sure if it will be useful with newer versions of VirtualBox, maybe
they will need a different patch