Re: virtualbox-dkms fails to build with 3.12-0.bpo.1-amd64 kernel

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 9:02 AM, Nick <debian-backports@njw.me.uk> wrote:
> Quoth Matt Palmer:
>> On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 10:45:47AM -0400, Nick wrote:
>> > However when I try to install the virtualbox-dkms package I get
>> > an error. The output of
>> > /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/4.1.18/build/make.log is:
>>
>> No wai!  I hit this problem earlier today.
>
> Great minds... ;)
>
>> The problem is in Virtualbox -- the old version you're building the modules
>> of hasn't been updated for the change in data structure in the kernel (it's
>> related to a build option in the kernel, I believe).  Running the
>> virtualbox{,-dkms} from wheezy-backports works just fine.
>
> Aha, I didn't see the backported virtualbox packages, because they
> all appear to be in non-free in backports (despite being in main in
> Debian). Is this just an oversight after they changed their license?

Building virtualbox's BIOS as of >= 4.2 requires the use of a compiler
that's not DFSG-free (and shipping with EFI support only in the vbox
packages was determined to be a bad idea by the maintainer), hence the
move to contrib. See bug #691148 for details.

Regards,
Vincent