Re: 0ad backport, asking for review and upload

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 2:27 PM, Boris Pek <tehnick@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> This is the first time that I write in this list. I would like to
>> propose a backport of "0 A.D."[1] (0ad [2]), an historical Real Time
>> Strategy game currently under development that is gaining some attention.
>> The version on Wheezy is outdated, so I made a backport of the game from
>> the version currently available on Jessie:
>> - 0ad_0.0.14-3~bpo70+1 [3]
>> - 0ad-data_0.0.14-1~bpo70+1 / 0ad-data-common_0.0.14-1~bpo70+1 [4]
>>
>> I tested the backport for a while on Wheezy amd64 without (unknown)
>> problems.
>
> I have few questions not related to the package itself:
>
> Have you contacted with maintainer of this package? If yes, what did he say
> about backporting it?

Yes, Francesco has contacted me prior to preparing a backport, and I'm
fine with him backporting 0ad. I personally don't want to bother to
maintain a backport until 0ad releases a stable "1.0" release, but if
others would like to do so, great.

> (Maintainer usually aware of developers habits about supporting builds with old
> versions of libraries. If upstream do not support such builds, some non-trivial
> patches may be required for packaging new versions of program in the future.)

I don't foresee this being a problem, at least not in the near future
(except perhaps spidermonkey/mozjs?).

Regards,
Vincent