Re: Question about version

On Sun, 11 Aug 2013, David Smith wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Planning to make a backport of liferea 1.8.15-1 from testing to
> wheezy-backports.
>
> Wheezy is now at version 7.1, so would it follow that my version should be:
> 1.8.15-1~bpo71+1?
>
> Or should it just be:
> 1.8.15-1~bpo70+1?

Wheezy is just "Debian 7", and this includes all the point releases,
so IMHO the logical thing to do is to drop the "0" in "70". That's
what I did in gettext_0.18.3-1~bpo7+1 uploaded a few days ago.

What we are doing in wheezy (where the point releases are 7.x) is
similar to what Linus did with "Linux 3". He was using
2.6.something.pointversion and now it's just 3.something.pointversion.

We were using 6.0.pointversion in squeeze and now we use 7.pointversion.

Thanks.