Re: Kernel 2.6.38 for squeeze

On 04/16/2011 05:40 PM, Norbert Tretkowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> yesterday I prepared a backport for linux-2.6 2.6.38-3, which works for
> me, but I would like to get some feedback from others before I'm going
> to upload it to squeeze-backports.
>
> It's available for amd64 from here:
>
> http://tretkowski.de/debian/squeeze-backports/
>
> The linux-base package was splitted out from the linux-2.6 package, you
> need it as well.
>
> So please give it a try, and send feedback.
>

> Thanks
>
> Norbert

Hello Norbert,

I have an old laptop with a bad internal WiFi board, so I bought a newer
RaLink driver. To make it work, I had to add the option "rt2800usb -
Include support for rt33xx devices (EXPERIMENTAL)" and "rt2800usb -
Include support for rt35xx devices (EXPERIMENTAL)". These are not
activated in your build (I've just checked).

I believe that one of the most important point of running a backported
kernel is to have such drivers for newer hardware. Could you please
include the option above? The options to activate are as below:

CONFIG_RT2800PCI_RT33XX
CONFIG_RT2800PCI_RT35XX
CONFIG_RT2800USB_RT33XX
CONFIG_RT2800USB_RT35XX

If you include the above options, I'll be able to test your backport
instead of the quick and dirty one that I did myself.

Cheers, and thanks for the work,

Thomas