Re: New Backports Suite created

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 09:12:14AM +0200, Matthias Julius wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 08:49:03 +0200, Gerfried Fuchs <rhonda@deb.at> wrote:
> > * Michael Gilbert <michael.s.gilbert@gmail.com> [2010-10-04 22:56:49 > CEST]:
> >>
> >> If they're the same thing at that point, then why have both?
> >
> >  Because one is backports to lenny, and one is backports to squeeze?
> > I really hope you can understand the difference?
>
> But, it is called *lenny*-backports-sloppy.  This suggests that this is
> also backports to lenny.  If I understood your announcement correctly than
> lenny-backports are backports from squeeze and lenny-backports-sloppy are
> backports from squeeze+x.

Let me try to summarize that again:

The following suites are targeting Lenny systems (i.e., packages are
backported to run on Lenny):

 * lenny-backports: Packages from Lenny + 1, aka Squeeze, are allowed
   only. This ensures that people may upgrade from Lenny + lenny-bpo to
   Squeeze (without bpo). Squeeze security updates and point releases
   will be included only, once Squeeze has been released.

 * lenny-backports-sloppy: Targets Lenny as well, but the "source" of
   packages is handled a bit more "sloppy" in that packages from
   Lenny + 2, aka Wheezy, are allowed as well. This makes it possible to
   still get ("the most") up-to-date packages on Lenny after Squeeze has
   been released. An upgrade from Lenny + lenny-bpo(-sloppy) to Squeeze
   + squeeze-bpo *should* be possible, but might be a bit more
   complicated in corner cases.

The following suites will target Squeeze systems (i.e., packages are
recompiled to run on Squeeze):

 * squeeze-backports: Packages from Squeeze + 1 (aka Lenny + 2) are
   allowed in only. I.e., the same set of packages as in
   lenny-bpo-sloppy may be included but the packages are built in a
   Squeeze environment rather than a Lenny environment.

 * squeeze-backports-sloppy: Empty for now, will be relevant once Wheeze
   has been frozen.

I hope, things are a bit more clear now.

Cheers,
Sebastian