Re: snapshot.debian.org and backports.org

Alexander Wirt wrote:
> Bob Proulx schrieb:
> > I didn't see it in the FAQ or docs but perhaps it would be helpful to
> > mention that when the current backports.org is in a transition period
> > (such as for Nagios3 at the moment that seems to be concerning to
> > people) that snapshot.debian.org is keeping archives of the historical
> > state of various Debian repositories including backports.org.
>
> When will the $arch build of $package be available?
>
> A: The packages are only uploaded by the backporter for their own
> architecture. The rest of the architectures have to go through the build
> network and the logs getting signed by the buildd admins. Those are often
> enough also busy with other work (or if time permits real life), which might
> also add to a delay in the uploads. You can check the status on the Buildd
> Information Page of the used buildd network, just enter your $package and
> don’t forget to select the lenny-backports suite from the dropdown list.

You repeat the FAQ here as if that would be an answer to my
suggestion.  I was aware of that FAQ.  But since it doesn't mention
snapshot then of course it really isn't a response to my suggestion.
Sure that talks about the problem with the buildds not building
everything instantly across all architectures but that is the problem
I mentioned too.  And so seeing it there confuses me greatly.  We both
mention the same problem.

> But mentioning snapshot is a good idea. I'll add it later.

I think it might be of help to people.  I am not sure how well known
snapshot is among the user community.

Thanks,
Bob