Slightly OT: Backporting/building packages, dpkg-dev issues

Hi all,

this is not strictly on=topic here, but since a critical mass of backporting
knowledge exists here, I'll try - please condemn me, if that was wrong ;)

I have a package which is known to build on Debian and Squeeze but now I've
gotten the task to also build Ubuntu[1] hardy and later packages.

Debhelper v7 was not posing to be a large problem, however right now I'm stuck
with this message and changelog/bts/web did not really enlighten me:

[...]
dh_shlibdeps -l/tmp/buildd/vdt-globus-
toolkit-4.2.1r3/debian/tmp/opt/vdt/globus/lib --dpkg-shlibdeps-params='--
warnings=0'
dpkg-shlibdeps: unknown option `--warnings=0'

...]

Positional options (order is significant):
  <executable>             include dependencies for <executable>,
  -e<executable>           (use -e if <executable> starts with `-')
  -d<dependencyfield>      next executable(s) set shlibs:<dependencyfield>.

  -p<varnameprefix>        set <varnameprefix>:* instead of shlibs:*.
  -O                       print variable settings to stdout.
  -L<localshlibsfile>      shlibs override file, not debian/shlibs.local.
  -T<varlistfile>          update variables here, not debian/substvars.
  -t<type>                 set package type (default is deb).
  -x<package>              exclude package from the generated dependencies.
  -S<pkgbuilddir>          search needed libraries in the given
                           package build directory first.
  --admindir=<directory>   change the administrative directory.
  -h, --help               show this help message.
      --version            show the version.

Dependency fields recognised are:
  Suggests/Recommends/Depends/Pre-Depends
dh_shlibdeps: command returned error code 512
make: *** [vdt-stamp-3-binary-arch] Error 1

Is this known to anyone? All bugs I've seen should have been cleared already -
dpkg-dev version is  1.14.16.6ubuntu4.1

Again apologies for not being on topic.

Carsten

[1] Sorry again, that I raise this question here, but on Ubuntu's side the
backports forum plus mailing list I've found seemed mostly abandoned or filled
with automatic messages.
--
Dr. Carsten Aulbert - Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics
Callinstrasse 38, 30167 Hannover, Germany