Re: How (not) to convert from 3.0 (quilt) to 1.0

Jakub Wilk <jwilk@debian.org> wrote:
> Dear backporters,

> A sole "echo 1.0 > debian/source/format" is NOT the correct way to
> convert from source format 3.0 (quilt) to 1.0. At minimum, if you don't
> want to use a patch system, you should additionally delete the .pc/

agreed. Thanks for the warning.

>  and debian/patches/ directories.

I disagree that this always the best choice. For straight rebuilds
debian/patches/* serves as a documentation of the applied patches.
Otherwise changelog entries like

* added foo.patch to stop frobnicating

use much of their usefulness.

OTOH if the backport requires additional upstream patches (which would
not be present in debian/patches) I can see that keeping the outdated
debian/patches is not helpful but misleading.

cu andreas
so grateful to you.'