Re: Backporting FFmpeg, Was: Packages Vlc 0.9

Anthony DeRobertis <aderobertis@metrics.net> writes:

> Reinhard Tartler wrote:
>
>> I strongly believe that we can work around that issue by re-introducing
>> the old function calling the new function. [...]
>
> The bug log for #512946 says this has already been done by upstream,
> uploaded Feb 04 version 3:0.svn20090204-1.
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=512946#17

Err, sure. but it requires all applications to be rebuilt that used to
use the internal function ff_gcd. Other applications do use that
internal symbol illegally, so upstream decided to rename it.

Which has consequences for applications using it.

>> [...] But beware,
>> this combination (old packages and newer ffmpeg) has not been tested by
>> anyone.
> This sounds quite solvable. The backporter should certainly test it and,
> if needed, upload to e.g., people.d.o and ask for other testers before
> uploading to bpo.

This would need systematic checking. Unless a crowd of potential users
(and therefore testers) indicate interest, I don't want to go that
way. Especially since the other way I indicated would be much safer,
IMO.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4