Re: Release plans regarding kernel 2.6.24 release

Am Sonntag, den 30.03.2008, 17:07 +0200 schrieb Norbert Tretkowski:
> As discussed on this list already, 2.6.24 from Debian does not work on
> some hardware (e.g. the bnx2 module is missing).

A new version of firmware-nonfree was uploaded a few days ago, which
includes a firmware-bnx2 package. Additionally, 2.6.24-7 includes the
required firmware splitout patch from Bastian, which makes it possible
to use the firmware packages.

Usually the network driver is loaded in the initramfs, but the version
of initramfs-tools in etch is not able to include the firmware files,
hence an update of initramfs-tools is required for such drivers.

As a workaround for this problem, the network driver module could be
blacklisted in the initramfs, and loaded later during boot process. Of
course this will only work on systems not using an nfs root filesystem.

I'm going to upload 2.6.24-7~bpo40+1 asap, backports of firmware-nonfree
and initramfs-tools will follow.

	Norbert