Re: Request for apt-cacher backport

On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 04:51:09PM +0100, Renaud Saint-Gratien wrote:

> I have a request, though: I'm looking for a backport of apt-cacher.
> The version in Etch fails to cache packages with '~' characters in their
> name (see bug #394541).
> (Apt-cacher is a caching proxy system for Debian packages.)

The apt-proxy in Etch does not have this problem.

> I installed locally the version from Lenny (1.6.1) and it works like a
> charm.
> Note that the 1.6.1 version has a new dependency: libwww-curl-perl. No need
> to upgrade it: the version from Etch is sufficient.
>
> If someone could provide a backport for apt-cacher, I'd be immensely
> grateful.

If I recall correctly, if the package can be simply insalled directly
without a need for rebuilding it, I believe that a backport will not be
provided.  I don't speak as someone who manages the backports repo.  It
is just something I recall seeing either on the website or here on the
list.

Regards,

-Roberto
--