2.6.24 for etch (was Re: Kernel vmsplice security update

Hi,

some people on the backport-users lists asked for a 2.6.24 backports.org
kerneland thus are properly not aware of the EtchAndAHalf effort
(http://wiki.debian.org/EtchAndAHalf) which is a planned "half-release" to
bring support for new hardware to etch by providing a new kernel, which
likely will be based 2.6.24.

On Wednesday 13 February 2008 23:06, Norbert Tretkowski wrote:
> By the way... with 2.6.23-1 some firmware blobs were removed from the
> Debian kernel, and as a consequence these drivers had to be disabled:
>
>   - Alteon AceNIC/3Com 3C985/NetGear GA620 Gigabit support
>   - USB Keyspan USA-xxx Serial Driver
>   - Technotrend/Hauppauge Nova-USB devices
>   - YAM driver for AX.25
>   - MyriCOM Gigabit Ethernet support
>   - PTI Qlogic, ISP Driver
>   - Cirrus Logic (Sound Fusion) CS4280/CS461x/CS462x/CS463x
>   - Madge Ambassador (Collage PCI 155 Server)
>   - PCA-200E support
>   - SBA-200E support
>   - Broadcom NetXtremeII support
>
> I'm a bit worried about that, especially because the Broadcom NetXtremeII
> driver is required for some recent Dell systems, e.g. the PowerEdge 1950.

What's the status of this for the 2.6.24 etchandahalf kernel?

When will this kernel be approximatly available so that developers and users
can test it on their systems?

regards,
	Holger