Re: Backports vs Pinning Lenny

Alexander Wirt <formorer@formorer.de> wrote:

> As I always said, talk with me. If I see benefit for our users the package
> will be added (as it will be done with java).

The fact is, you won't even see the package. Because with the new
policy, we (uploading DDs) won't upload it.

This is my case with lmodern for etch. I've been pondering about an
upload to etch-bpo for about ten days, but I was waiting for a sane
policy for version numbering and for whether-or-not-to-upload. As far as
version numbering is concerned, the proposal embedding 3.1 (sarge) or
4.0 (etch) in the version number looked sane, but wasn't blessed by the
ftpmasters. and the few uploads I saw on backports-changes had no sane
version number (i.e., upgrade from sarge + sarge-bpo to etch + etch-bpo
is broken).

And as for the whether-or-not-to-upload $package, the initial policy
hasn't been amended, so no new lmodern on etch-bpo.

--
Florent