Re: Errors whilst dist-upgrading from Sarge+Xorg-bpo to Etch

Will do,

I ended up removing a mesa-common-dev using dpkg in the end, which at
least allowed the upgrade to complete.

Overall very impressed - my sarge system was pretty messy with various
backports and packages from other sources and that was the only
problem I encountered.

Thanks

Jeremy

On 8/21/06, Norbert Tretkowski <norbert@tretkowski.de> wrote:
* Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> Jeremy Wilkins wrote:
> > Unpacking mesa-common-dev (from .../mesa-common-dev_6.4.2-1_all.deb) ...
> > dpkg: error processing
> > /var/cache/apt/archives/mesa-common-dev_6.4.2-1_all.deb (--unpack):
> > trying to overwrite `/usr/include/GL/osmesa.h', which is also in
> > package xlibosmesa-dev
>
> The above error is the key here.  The new package (mesa-common-dev) is
> attempting to provide a file that is already provided by an existing
> package (xlibosmesa-dev). Try the following to force the system past this:
>
> dpkg --force-overwrite -i \
>   /var/cache/apt/archives/mesa-common-dev_6.4.2-1_all.deb

And please file a bug against mesa-common-dev from etch, it should
replace xlibosmesa-dev via the control file.

                Norbert