alsa-oss?

Hi,

I would like to upgrade ALSA to the backports.org version but I notice that the alsa-oss package is still the one from Sarge (1.0.8). I installed it anyway along with the backports ALSA packages (alsa-base alsa-utils libasound2 plus deps) but I got all sorts of warnings when I ran alsaconf, so I quickly uninstalled ALSA.

Is alsa-oss going to be backported, or is it even needed anymore? I run some apps which don't play well with ALSA so I usually install this package. Or is there some new way to keep OSS compatibility?

Thanks in advance.