Re: Backport of smartmontools

On Friday 10 February 2006 13:05, Steffen Joeris wrote:
> I have backported it, but IMHO I have no time to test it carefully.
> Please install it and test it and send me your test results.
> Maybe later I find some time for my own testing and then we can see if it
> works fine.
>
> http://developer.skolelinux.no/~white/debs/backports/smartmontools/

Hi!

It runs well .. I tested it on a box where I know a disk is bad.

My DeviceScan-Line in /etc/smartd.conf looks like:

"DEVICESCAN -m <mailadress> -I 194 -I 231 -I 9 -M
exec /usr/share/smartmontools/smartd-runner"

I got two mails:

"This email was generated by the smartd daemon running on:

   host name: mirror
  DNS domain: *****
  NIS domain: (none)

The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:

Device: /dev/hdc, 1 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

For details see host's SYSLOG (default: /var/log/messages).

You can also use the smartctl utility for further investigation.
No additional email messages about this problem will be sent."

"This email was generated by the smartd daemon running on:

   host name: mirror
  DNS domain: *****
  NIS domain: (none)

The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:

Device: /dev/hdc, FAILED SMART self-check. BACK UP DATA NOW!

For details see host's SYSLOG (default: /var/log/messages).

You can also use the smartctl utility for further investigation.
No additional email messages about this problem will be sent."

With kind regards, Jan.