Re: Debian Bookworm+ on Cavium ThunderX?

On Mon, 2024-04-15 at 14:55:06 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Fri, 2024-04-12 at 09:28 +0200, Steffen Grunewald wrote:
>
> > Any attempt to boot a Bullseye (5.x) or Bookworm kernel (6.x) resulted in
> > an early kernel panic.
>
> Try the latest sid kernel (6.7.9) and the latest upstream too.

Doing so the Debian way would require a major upgrade of the related tools
(most notably, gcc), also to build some initrd - something I'd like to avoid
on the only system with that kind of hardware I have.

I'll go for some live distros first since I cannot fully exclude "just a
missing kernel parameter", and Ubuntu 23.10 seems to be the newest I can
get hold of. Previous attempts used PXE boot, so kernel parameters might
be something to look for first.

  This
> sounds like something that will need a git bisect to figure out though.
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianKernel/GitBisect

That's the really time-consuming part...
I'm kind of surprised that nobody else seems to use this hardware platform?

Thanks so far,
 Steffen