Re: Ability to further support 32bit architectures

So, can you set an RPI4 to 32 bit for even more speed?
My Pi4 config.txt (Debian Bookworm) says

# Switch the CPU from ARMv7 into ARMv8 (aarch64) mode
arm_64bit=1

I haven't tried it because I don't know how the software will handle the timing.

On Fri, Jan 12, 2024 at 1:37 PM gene heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
On 1/12/24 13:07, Alan Corey wrote:
> Are you forgetting that 64 bit is slower?  In the arm world where it's
> easily switchable 64 bit is pokey when you don't need it.

Thank Alan, to put numbers behind that, linuxcnc has a thing called
latency-test on an rpi4b the armhf kernel I built from 4.19 srcs, can
respond to an irq in 12 microseconds, this in 2018. in 2023, an arm64
rt-preempt kernel can only do that in around 50 microseconds. The huge
majority of that time is a increased size of the stack frame it has to
put away and then reload the environment to handle the interrupt.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
  - Louis D. Brandeis

--